Thursday, May 17, 2012

Moving Day

For those of you that have known me for more than a year, the decisions I have made over the last 14 months have probably came as a big surprise.  For the last 15 years, my main focus was career, and I was pretty darn good at it. I have had some pretty big jobs at some amazing companies and learned every day. I was on-track to continue along this path. That all changed in April 2011, I went on vacation to St. Barth's with some girlfriends and met the man I will soon marry and I couldn't be happier about it. The proposal of course, also means I will be making some pretty significant changes.

Let's face it, I'm a city girl. I LOVE New York, it's been my home for 15 years, I have met some of the most amazing people and am fortunate to have the absolute greatest group of friends that anyone could ask for. I have an amazing apartment on the UWS with views of the river and love sharing it with my dog. While my love for this city and my family and friends is not changing, my relationship with it is.

Today the moving trucks are coming and I can help but sit here feeling sad. You see, I am leaving this great city to move to St. Barth to start my new life - one that will be very different from the one I have been living. Don't worry, I'm not looking for sympathy here - I mean who hasn't fantasized about leaving the rat race and going to live on a tropical island? But at the same time, this is a big transition. One that will no doubt have me living a more relaxing and what is probably a healthier lifestyle. But it won't be NYC and the people that have been a part of my daily life for the last 15 years won't be there, so I'm terrified. There are all these questions - will I adjust? will I make friends? what will me daily life be like? will my friends and family really come visit? and many many more.

One thing that has really amazed me is how many people, even those I don't know as well, reach out and say they are happy for me or that they somehow feel inspired by my story. Which brings me to why I have decided to start this blog, and why I started it today, on the day the trucks will arrive and most of my belongings will be packed and put into a storage unit not to be seen for several years, probably. For those of you that have given up on finding love, for those of you that have ever asked yourself if you were really happy, for those of you that are wondering that if you leave your job will you survive. So bit by bit, I'll tell you how I got here and let you follow me through the wedding planning, the full-time transition to another country and follow me on what I am sure will be an interesting ride.








No comments:

Post a Comment