Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Do You Scuba?

If I have heard it once, I have heard it no less than a few hundred times since last April. That Hank Azaria line from Along Met Polly "Do you like the SCUBA". Well of COURSE people are going to say it and have fun with it - you should. I met my fiance on a beach in St Barth and he's a SCUBA diver. Thankfully, he also has a sense of humor and had played along with the joke once or twice. If you haven't seen the movie - see it.

Now, on to SCUBA. Let me be clear about something - my fiance and I are VERY different people, it's probably why it works. He thinks the idea of crossing the Atlantic in a sailboat is thrilling and has done it a few times, me, not so much. I loved living in NYC and well, given the opportunity, he will tell you exactly what he thinks about big cities. I think a big key for us was finding things about the other that made us curious or want to try something so we could share something special - for us I think it's SCUBA.

I am not what one would call a risk taker. I don't like fast cars, heights, and not a big fan of being alone in the dark. SCUBA for me was something completely different though, I have always loved the water and always wanted to try, but like so many other things over the years I never could find the time. Well enter a 35 year SCUBA vet - it was love diving or there probably wasn't going to be much of a future for us. The first few dives were done with mixed results - I got scared for the first submerge, and then there were mask issues (i have a FREAKISHLY small head). Also, you can't really talk once you are under there so it took me a while to figure certain things out. But once under that water - I was amazed.

What lives in our oceans is amazing and to be able to float along-side turtles, sharks, sting rays, and barracuda was something I became instantly addicted to. You see for about an hour - you are totally silent with yourself and the ocean. Just the sound of the breathing through the regulator and the occasional ocean noises, but otherwise, silence. You never really know what you are going to see and that's what is so very cool about it. It's how I feel about this adventure - I'm not really sure what's going to happen next, but I can't wait  to find out.

So my point is - you don't have to love all the same things - that would be pretty boring. But you need to find something you both can love. Obviously, we have other things in common - but I think it really was about the SCUBA in the end.

Now, if I could only get him to eat his veggies :)








No comments:

Post a Comment