Thursday, August 9, 2012

It's the Little Things

It's always been the little things for me. I never really cared much for the grand gesture - they seem so forced and not so genuine. I have personally never been impressed with big gestures like sending flowers or giving me fancy gifts - that stuff is all material. Now don't get me wrong - thoughtful gifts and flowers on occasion or for no reason are much appreciated -but isn't showing someone how you feel by something thoughtful better? It takes a lot more effort to be thoughtful than it does to just go buy something.

How did you get ESPN? My fiance asked someone this the one day and to me it was one of the sweetest things he could have done. He's been reading the blog and we talk a lot and he knows that this change is huge for me. So by asking that question he was trying to get me something he knows I really miss. You always here people say don't sweat the small stuff, but what about appreciating the small stuff? When was the last time you thanked someone for doing something small but incredibly thoughtful?

Think about it, its the small stuff that makes up everyday life - and if you aren't doing and appreciating them now, you probably won't later. It's incredibly important not only to do the little thing but to say thank you for them. I have never been good at relationships - I picked the wrong guys or got bored very quickly. This one is different for more reasons than I can list here. The biggest difference though is the little things he does that show me he loves me.

Now as we approach the "big day" with all the craziness and everything we have to do - family coming in, finalizing details oh and of course we are both extremely busy with work it's hard and seemed to be taking its toll. We hadn't had any time alone, I hadn't been feeling well and neither of us had been sleeping.  So last night, we went out to eat just the two of us. It was alone time I desperately needed with him - to have a relaxing conversation about what had to yet be done and to just spend some time where the only thing we had to focus on was each other. And I was reminded again of the many many reason I feel so lucky to have him in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment