Friday, November 16, 2012

The First Days Are the Hardest Days

Well we made it. My dog and I with the help of a dear friend arrived in St Barth after a long day of traveling and putting once and for all to rest all the things I was having panic attacks about - as it relates to her anyway. I have to give my dog credit - she was a total champ on the plane - not a whimper. Once we got here, she is quickly adapting to a new freedom she never really had. Her mom....well she's trying to learn patience.

I have been so displaced for so long that I guess part of me was hoping I could get here, unpack, run to the store to pick up a few things and voila I would be settled....not so fast. You see like any move, nothing is going quite as smoothly as I would like it. Plus we do actually still have everyday life to contend with. Despite popular belief we both do work - and work a lot more than I thought we would have to. He's getting his business ready for the busiest time of the year, with a new partner and I actually have two clients both at peak times.

I have found myself "nagging" more than I would like to admit. It's not that my husband is actually doing anything wrong, its just that I want to be settled, I want crap put away and I want this place to feel like I actually live here. For those of you unaware - there were two single men living here before I got here so there is a bit to do. Before you all go saying be patient - it's only been a couple of days - I am fully aware that I am being completely irrational. That doesn't mean I am going to be happy about it. My husband's patience with me has been exceptional - and he is NOT a patient person. I think he realizes my nagging and frustration isn't really at him (I hope he does anyway) but more about that this is all very new for me.

While I may not have had the easiest adjustment  little miss is adjusting JUST FINE.  I was soooo worried she'd hate it, wouldn't listen to Didier, and would be a nervous wreck because let's face it she tends to get nervous. Nope, little miss is seems to be loving life. She loves being off-leash most of the time, she quickly figured out her new routines, and seems to not have a care in the world. She has a playmate and apparently no longer any interest in me when my husband is around. She follows him around like he were a bag of treats. She's a total traitor, and I actually think that is kind of awesome.

Watching her the last two days seem so at home despite the fact that there is no way she actually could understand why this was all happening put a few things into perspective for me. The stuff will eventually get put away, I can go shopping and buy the things I need, and little by little this will feel more like my home. I moved here for a very good reason. It's a great place to live, my life quality is improved, and I love my husband more every day. Today I shop...tonight my husband sees the output - let's see if he still love me so much :)


No comments:

Post a Comment